Wednesday, April 10, 2013

H...Heat Therapy and Massage

One of my cats enjoying my heating pad, too!
If you are a fibromyalgia sufferer like me and have yet to discover the heavenly bliss of heat or gentle massage, I encourage you to see what they can do for you! Since I was a very active person before fibro took hold of my life, I’m no stranger to sore muscles and aches. It was during my early teens that I discovered just how amazing heat and massage can be when your muscles are stiff, sore, and cramping.

Now that I have fibromyalgia, I am a heat and massage addict! If I could live in a Jacuzzi for the rest of my life, I’d be content. But alas, I don’t have the money or the space for a hot tub. In fact, I don’t even have a regular bath tub to soak in anymore. Consequently, I’ve had to be a little creative in meeting my heat and massage needs.

I have a hot water bottle, 2 electric heating pads, and gel packs that can be heated in the microwave. I also have an electric heated massaging mat and a battery-operated heated neck massager. I have even improvised and rolled a golf ball with the bottoms of my sore feet to massage them after a long day. Although my fiancé is more than willing to rub my sore spots, I prefer to have as many backup options as possible in case he is at work or too tired.

Although heat and massage doesn’t cure fibromyalgia or make the symptoms go away, it’s wonderful to have something that can take the edge off the pain and help you relax. When I am having a bad flare day my favorite spot to write is lying on my heated massage mat. It covers many of my worst tender points and clears my head enough that I can think again. This mat is also wonderful for when I hurt so much that I can’t sleep. The heat and rhythmic massaging soothes my aching body and makes me sleepy.

Ultimately, it is important to find what works best for you. Sometimes wet heat works better than dry heat. Some people love rigorous massages, while people like me can usually only handle gentle massages. Even if you can' afford expensive equipment or therapy sessions, there are many cheap options available. Regular heat therapy and massage have improved my quality of life immensely, and it is likely they will offer some relief for you as well.

1 comment:

  1. I love a rigorous massage. I used to be able to get them all the time, and now I never do. I really miss it! My brother got me a gift certificate for a massage though, so I'll be getting one as soon as I can! :)

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete