Thursday, April 3, 2014

B is for Bathtubs

The next helpful must-have for people with fibromyalgia is a big, relaxing bathtub. When I used to have a bathtub, I grossly took it for granted. When I was experiencing a severe flare I never failed to utilize this beautiful blessing two...three...even four times per day. I stocked up on Epsom salt, moisturizing bubble bath, and relaxing bath oils to help combat my fibro symptoms. It wasn’t until we bought a home with only a shower that I came to realize what I had lost.

There is something incredibly soothing about gently floating in a hot bath after a long day. Wet heat and Epsom salts eased my stiff, achy, cramped muscles. Warm water combined with moisturizing bath soaps or bubble bath brought amazing relief to my itchy, dry skin. And relaxing bath oils melted away the stress and tension, as well as helped me combat insomnia. I miss those days, and I’m hoping to save up money to install a bathtub soon!

All my fibro warriors, I highly recommend you take full advantage of your bathtub, and if you don’t have one, it would be wise to eventually install one. A shower feels nice, but it never seems to get the heat deep enough and it prevents you from soaking and relaxing. Bathtubs might seem like ordinary, everyday parts of our home, but it is certainly a godsend in disguise. I have yet to meet someone with fibromyalgia who doesn’t agree that bathtubs make the perfect break from the fibro struggle.

4 comments:

  1. I don't own one and somehow I find it a bit cumbersome too...but nice reasons to use a bathtub :)

    Saying Hi! Visiting from A to Z and hopping from your other blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my fellow teammates from Team Netherworld has fibromyalgia. She works out in a therapy pool and has gotten me into doing so as well. I was badly injured in an accident nearly 11 years ago and have multiple physical issues.
    Stopping by from the A to Z. You might enjoy our blog Crazy Town in Looney Land.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am such a wimp and dislike pain. I cannot even imagine the hardship and courage to live with Fibro... B for Bathtub is a great #a2zchallenge post all the best from http://4covert2overt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you could have continued with the A-Z. this post is great. I LOVE baths mostly and all the time, except when I'm having back pain and then I love for the shower to beat on my back.

    ReplyDelete