Thursday, March 7, 2013

My War on Germs

Empty antibiotic bottle

I don’t know anyone who enjoys being sick.  Sore throats, fevers, achiness, stomachaches, headaches, and a general blah feeling—they are all a pain in the neck, and at the first sign of illness, we scramble to find someway to alleviate our symptoms and get through it all faster!  We just don’t have the time or the desire to deal with even the slightest of colds.

Unfortunately, dealing with a chronic health issue (such as fibromyalgia) just complicates things.  I don’t know about you, but I know that my little sicknesses tend to not be so little anymore now that I have fibro.  I also tend to get sick more often now, and the illnesses last longer.  It is as though my body is so worn out from dealing with my chronic condition that it doesn’t have necessary resources to kill germs immediately.

On top of this, I have also discovered that being sick often causes an increase in my fibromyalgia symptoms.  I become a stumbling, miserable zombie whenever I get sick now.  In fact, I was out of commission for over a week recently because I was sick on top of a fibro flare.  I was so incredibly thankful when I finally took the last of my antibiotics and woke up feeling much more myself a couple days later!

Frankly, I am sick and tired of being sick and tired!  I have enough on my plate with my fibromyalgia before adding viruses and bacteria into the equation.  As such, I’ve decided that it’s time to take action and find ways to lessen my chances of catching something.  I know it’s easier said than done, but I certainly abhor getting sick, and if I can I avoid even a minute of illness, I’m game!

Over the next week or so, I’m going to research ways to build my immune system and tips for generally staying healthy.  This last bacterial infection was so awful that I’m officially declaring war on any and every germ lurking in vicinity.  I’m finished playing fair.  It’s time to turn another page that will help lead to a happier and healthier me.

Please check back later throughout the month.  I will be sharing some of the research and tips here, so you can join me as well.  Here’s to good health and less sick days!

No comments:

Post a Comment