Sunday, July 1, 2012

Welcome to Fibro and Fancy Free


Hi, everyone, and welcome to my new blog! My name is Amanda, and I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in January 2011.  I’ve had symptoms since I was a teenager and possibly most of my life. I decided to start this blog as a way to share my journey to a freer, healthier life, while offering a place for my fellow fibro suffers to support one another and swap survival tips.

As I contemplated titles for this new blog, Fibro and Fancy Free leaped into my mind. Everyone familiar with fibromyalgia knows that this medical condition can be absolutely excruciating and debilitating. So how could my mind associate ‘fancy free’ with fibromyalgia? I know a lot of ‘f’ words that would more readily describe my daily struggle with own body. Many of them are pretty negative.


Do some of these sound words like your own struggle?

After some careful reflection, though, I realized that I want and NEED to reach a point in my life where my condition no longer defines who I am as an individual. ‘Fancy free’ represents where I want to be. Do I want to live in denial and pretend fibromyalgia is a pleasant walk in the park? No, of course not! Have I convinced myself that it’s not real or only in my head? Oh, it’s real alright! In fact, it reminds me of its presence all of the time. Am I convinced that it is going to just vanish? Absolutely not! Part of me longs for the day I’ll be fibro free, but the rational side of me realizes that with a 2 ½-year flare up and years of symptoms, it may never clear up.

Although I’ve accepted the fact that I may be stuck with fibromyalgia for the rest of my life, I have not given up. I will continue to fight the good fight and strive for a healthier, happier tomorrow. I know the journey won’t be easy. In fact, I’m expecting many bumps in the road and quite a few setbacks. But I hope you will join me so we can travel this difficult road together!

1 comment:

  1. I've always sort of assumed that I have some form of fibro but I don't really "do" doctors so I've never had it investigated. Something has been plaguing me since I was 12/13 causing me a whole list of varying symptoms and does debilitate me on a regular basis so I have to spend the day in bed. It sounds horrible and I can imagine telling this to someone and them saying "WHY DON'T YOU GO TO A DOCTOR??" But it's just sort of been part of my life for the last 13 years, I guess I'm used to it in a way. Whether it's fibro or something else, I do know about chronic pain and all the things that come with it, so I can imagine at least part of what you're going through each day. I'm glad you're taking a positive approach to it, positive thinking and a hopeful outlook can make all the difference I believe. :)

    ReplyDelete